Wednesday, November 5, 2008

It really is cool if you think about it

Sure we didn't win.  Sure the power hungery monger (is that a word?) is still Provo's representative, but we still got 40% of the vote.  For a Democrat in Provo, I have to say that is pretty good.  (Especially when there was only a 46% voter turn out in her district.)
Anyways, there is something else cool to think about.  Hillary Clinton said it a little while ago how her daughter got to vote for her mother, while mother saw the change that made it so women could vote.  I have that same thing.  It was an amazing privilege for me to be able to vote for my mom, really how many people are able to say that they have done that.  But it has been in my great-grandmother, my mother's grandmother,  life time that women have fought and won the right to vote.  And it has been within my grandmother's, my mom's mom's, lifetime that women have been able to run for office.  There are still country's in today's world, where women don't have those rights/privileges.
So sure, I'm upset that my mom didn't win.  Sure I think she should have, and that she deserves it and the other guy doesn't, and I'm still mad at the Provo voters for being so one party minded and stupid.  
But I AM happy and proud of my mom and the fact that I had the ability, right, and privilege to vote for her yesterday.

1 comment: